AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

ear flex and population
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

mounder
Posted 8/14/2011 13:41 (#1911719 - in reply to #1911666)
Subject: RE: Rather than replying to each thread individually

N.W. Illinois
52-59 was in very short supply for this corn year. So buying in and storing it was not feasible. Besides, I really do not want to continue buying a older hybrid, every hybrid has it's day and then the environment catches up to it. The only reason we can still plant 52-59 in our area is because of fungicides. It would be a complete disaster without a fungicide. When this hybrid first came out it did not require a fungicide. We have not found any other hybrid(or other brands) to replace it with. Monsanto's problem, which became our problem, is their SmartStacks did not come through like they thought it would so Monsanto has lost several years of breeding the new genetics into a dead horse for now. We are planting more expensive newer hybrids just because we can not plant every acre to one variety.
I know that all the seed corn companies are going down the same path. Higher populations, narrower rows, more upright leaves,etc. I've seen and heard this all before, some of it pans out and some of it doesn't. When it doesn't work it always makes for a long slow harvest.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)