AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Out From Under The Thumb Of PPC!!!!!!!!!
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Tuscy
Posted 6/10/2007 18:10 (#160791 - in reply to #160622)
Subject: RE: Out From Under The Thumb Of PPC!!!!!!!!!

Tuscarora, MD
I am sorry to strike such a cord with you. I wish only the best for you and others that have decided to take this step. My thoughts on this matter basically boil down to the fact that I cannot take the same risk you are assuming. It's unfortunate that you have not had a favorable experience with PPC. We have had our share of problems with raising Turkeys, but I am not sure whether to blame myself or factors outside of my control. I will say this, the support staff at PPC would, in my opinion would get an "A" for effort for helping us through our difficult flocks. I'll admit that it really sucks that the gas was pushed back on us and I will also admit that I think that is a typical corporate move. No matter how much lipstick you put on that pig, it's still a pig. I do, however genuinely believe my service tech (Mike), John, and William have my best interest at heart, given the control that they have. Granted, when we do well, they do well.

I do have a few questions I have been pondering regarding the coop. They are as follows:

How much do you pay for feed and will it be able to compete with the purchasing power of PPC and others?
Who formulates the feed?
Who checks on the flocks?
What resources do you draw on (vet, etc.)?
Who determines and who pays for medication?
Who pays for shavings and sawdust and how much is it?
Who catches and hauls the birds?
Who pays for the gas?
Who pays for all the other supplies?
Are you ranked with other growers?
What if there is a problem flock?
Who pays for the poults?
What happens if the coop can't generate "cash flow"? Is there risk on how the grower get paid?
Is there a long term contract, and what is that really worth?
What happens if you get bird flu?
What happens if a live haul truck overturns?

Again, good luck.

Jon

Edited by Tuscy 6/10/2007 22:38
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)