AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

row spacings for wheat. Response to grass farmer
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Ham
Posted 8/21/2010 00:53 (#1324845 - in reply to #1324787)
Subject: My first question would be....

Blvd d'Espair Bowhill, Sth Aust
Were those seeding rate trials done at the narrower row spacings also?
I guess where I am going with that is wondering if the traditionally accepted seeding rate for the traditionally accepted row spacing was un-necessarily high anyway.

My own personal observation in my own admittedly "different" personal environmental reality is that seeding rate is not actually such a big component of resultant cereal yield as one might assume, nor as significant as most other management factors. That view would have been formed back when I was on 7 inch spacing. I changed to 9 inch for about 4 years, and have been on 12 inch for 8 years now.

PLEASE don't feel I am launching any sort of attack on you, or anybody else with this. It's just a bit of a hot button with me. I have been often frustrated with published results I have seen where wider row spacing trials have supposedly shown to return reduced yield. These often have come out of the Victorian Mallee. But when i query the methodology I find that seeding rates were reduced as well. And when I ask "why were the seeding rates reduced ? " as aften as not I get a blank look in return, with the comment "that's just what you do when you use wider rows".
What sort of trial is that??
Obsreve the results of changing ONE THING at a time, or the trial is immediately invalidated.

Hence my reply subject line.."it's dangerous to assume.."
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)