AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

EZ guide 500 to PF3000
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 8/21/2010 08:56 (#1325034 - in reply to #1324462)
Subject: RE: stupid question, but..

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
CUBE - 8/20/2010 19:54

Just to be sure, I CAN'T power the EZ500 thru the serial port? (obviously I don't know the pinout.)
oh, well... thanks for the advice everyone!

Ben

Yes, that is correct you should not attempt to power the EZ500 via the serial port. Depending on your layout in the other vehicle it might not be too difficult to move the power cable that is used there when you move the EZ500.

The PF3000 has power and ground available on Pins 4 & 6 which can be used as the power source for some GPS receivers. At the time the PF3000 was current it was common to piggyback an Ag Leader's GPS 3000, 3050 or 3100 physically to the back of the PF. Then a short connecting cable was used which provided power and ground to the GPS as well as the GPS information. These GPS receivers were actually Trimble units packaged in a black box by Ag Leader.

We have cables that split the power out to a two pole weatherpak which can be used as the power/ground source for some other GPS receivers. The EZ500 is not one of those.

The general rule for "Do I need a null modem or not?" is: If the two devices have the same gender (both male or both female) then a gender changer is needed to connect them together and it should act as a null modem as well.

If the two devices could be plugged together (one male and the other female) then a null modem is not needed and a straight through extension will be fine. Like all rules though there are exceptions.

With the exception of the power problem mentioned above, using a null modem when it is not needed or not using one when it is needed doesn't cause any damage but will not work as desired.

The term null modem came about from the early days of teletype machines. Normally these were connected together over a modem and phone lines. All teletype machines had the same type of connection and the phone line did the switching of the Rx and Tx lines as well as some others.

If it was desirable to connect two teletype machines directly together without a modem or phone line, then an adapter was needed which allowed them to be connected and swapped the appropriate wires. Since this adapter was used when no modem was present, it was named "Null Modem".

Edited by tedbear 8/22/2010 07:21
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)