AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Not satisfied with spacing on 1770NT Vac meters.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

swne
Posted 5/10/2010 20:38 (#1193306 - in reply to #1193117)
Subject: Re: Not satisfied with spacing on 1770NT Vac meters.

Cambridge, southwestern Nebraska
First year for me running a 1770 CCS and I've learned a lot. Once we got into no-till and pieces of trash were flying around things got interesting. First I noticed the monitor was reading wide variations in population. Then I found very poorly spaced seed from seeds 2' apart to having 5 seeds in a bunch. After dealer checked everything they could think of out we started taking off the little boxes to look at seed tubes. The vac had sucked in trash into the tube and deflecting seeds. There is a rubber gasket at the base of the meter that is supposed to seal off that air into the seed tube but it's not much of a seal for important as that is. Using duct tape to seal it all up has helped a lot but we still suck air into the seed meter and disrupts the seed drop at times.
I'm surprised and disappointed that JD does not have a better design. They should be porviding a clean source of air to the meter with a little positive air pressure to keep the vac from sucking air and trash up the seed tube and at the base of the meter. Air and trash coming up the seed tube as seeds are going down can not be a good combination for spacing.
I have been running around 12 oz. of vac. with the double eliminator at 50% and the knockout wheel.
If you were in tilled ground then I'm not sure what to tell you to look for but trashy conditions have been a problem for me in getting bits and pieces of leaves and stems in the meters and seed tubes.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)