AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Planting Corn in year old Wheat stubble....need advise.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

trakman
Posted 4/18/2010 21:56 (#1166749 - in reply to #1166689)
Subject: Re: Planting Corn in year old Wheat stubble....need advise.

Central Kansas
Yes, I'm running row cleaners this year and am having trouble with the double disk openers "mudding" up and not turning and then the next thing you know, you are pushing a wad of straw. I though spending $3500 for row cleaners would be the real ticket in this wheat stubble but am beginning to second guess myself now. Last year I didn't run row cleaners and had a very erratic emergence situation (heavy straw cover and it was forever coming up versas thin or no straw and it popped right out of the ground) Though with row cleaners, they would clear a path so the planting unit would have a nice clean place to work in...............not so in wet ground. Probably should have removed them but I was bound and determine to make this investment work. Right now, looks like I wasted $3500

Tomorrow I'm going to a field that had the wheat stubble baled off of it so will see if that makes a difference. Seems to be some residue there but not near what there was where I was planting today. Might be drier and I'll try to make them $3500 wheels earn there keep!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)