AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Slugs must be just a local thing........
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Dumb Farmer
Posted 4/12/2010 07:48 (#1159591)
Subject: Slugs must be just a local thing........

East Palestine, Ohio (Columbiana Co.)
As I posed a question in the no-til post below and didn't get any response. So, how are any of you NEOhio, W PA, or anybody for that matter dealing with slugs . Specifically in trying to no-til beans into straw stubble, but any situation where you have succesfully dealt with an exsisting slug problem would help.
I have went the Deadline bait route with limited success--broadcasting, mixing with seed in the drill, and running it through grass seeder on the drill --or, in some cases all 3 at once, and it does help--BUT the slugs still have to eat it, and they all don't. A bag of Deadline last year "here" was going for around $110. I think rec. rate is 5-10 lbs. per acre depending on severity of infestation, that, along with upping the seed rate 20% or so, so more plants have chance of living thru vulnerable feeding period early on after sprouting...........OR go thru with some type of dirt prep, I happen to have a disk and a field cultivator, either one of which will do the job, as it doesn't take very much to destroy the slug burrows.
So, any success stories out there? As I stated below, I would love to be able to no-til for the time/fuel/iron savings, but , the bottom line is, it needs to work.
Thanks for any tips...............The Dumb Farmer
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)