AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Insecticide options for treating corn rootworm - Need Advice
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

tim4870
Posted 4/5/2010 11:29 (#1150792)
Subject: Insecticide options for treating corn rootworm - Need Advice

Southern MN
My old planter had dry insecticide boxes on it, and I used Aztec. My new (to me) planter has no insecticide or liquid fertilizer boxes on it so I'm trying to figure out how I'll put down insectide to treat the corn rootworm.

Options I'm considering:
1. Buy insecticide boxes at about $125 a piece. This is simple for me, I found 12 boxes and they are easy to bolt on. As a long term investment though, it may not be the best option.

2. Install liquid fertilizer equipment on the planter and apply insecticide with the fertilizer. I have never had a planter with liquid fertilizer, so this is all new to me. I figure in the next few years I would add liquid fertilizer as money, knowledge, and experience with the planter grow, but I don't feel comfortable slapping something together for this planting season.

3. My seed dealer suggested applying Regent post emerge over the top with my first pass of Roundup. He suggested to do it prior to rain so it gets into the ground. He doesn't do this himself, just giving me the idea. No additional equipment investment would be needed this year, and buys me time to look more into option 2.

I'm really interested in pursuing option 3 for this year if it'll give good results. I would really appreciate some advice/feedback if you have some for me.

I'm only farming a couple hundred acres so investments in things like SmartBoxes is probably way out of my league.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)