AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

My spring tillage might be a fire...why not?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Murphy
Posted 3/13/2010 08:33 (#1118132)
Subject: My spring tillage might be a fire...why not?

ECIL
I had a diplodia problem last year, and I have 2 agronomists telling me not to put corn on corn in there unless I can get rid of the trash. That we have had a ripe weather environment the last 2 years for this and this year is off to the same start

I have to put corn on corn so that is my only option there. I have signed contracts on food grade corn

I have been down the road all winter trying to decide what practice to do by what date. Plow, chisel, shallow chisel, incremental depths with the disk, etc etc etc. Now I am down to just using the finisher and maybe buying a vertical tillage tool. But the last 2 options do not rid me of all the trash. By the time it dries up here, it will be almost April. We are completely saturated.

So one agronomist (with major seed company #2) said you need to think outside the box here. I would like to see you burn this if you can safely do it. This will rid you of most of your diplodia spores, and let your ground warm up faster and alleviate the problems of tillage in the spring. I ran this by the other agronomist and he concurred. He has had a client do it last year on half an 80 and the other half with a disk and burned ground was 30 bu. better with higher test weight corn. They say my p and K will be safe.

Old timers always said you will burn up your fertility by doing that. I am well aware of how to dissect what an old timer says, and some would say I am an old timer.

I have no experience burning off residue. Someone here does. I would like to hear anything factual and no "opinions".

I am going to call Purdue and U of I sources on this next week, but I would like some real world feedback.

Don't want to make this an ongoing practice, this is just an extreme situation.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)