AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Base Saturation Farmers, Potassium Question
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Hay Wilson in TX
Posted 3/6/2010 12:57 (#1107434 - in reply to #1107184)
Subject: As a disbeliever here in base saturation. edit

Little River, TX
Paul,
You soils may be similar to the soils where the base saturation ratios or percentages was developed. Still Those esteemed soil chemist may not have had potatoes, tobacco, or cotton in their cropping scenario. I hope your consultant has yield data for your local area.

Regardless (Irregardlessly) the normal variability for K, Mg, & Ca can be 20% or more. When you throw that much variability in a pot there is considerable room for descrepenancies.

You have a number of options, one is to follow your consultant's advise, or follow the tried and proven practice in the local area.

The larger question is how does the soil test show you fertility to be? I am more in favor of considering the critical nutrient ranges. I am even more of an advocate for using plant analysis to monitor the availability of the essential nutrients.

Possibly you can try a small area with the consultant's recommendations, and keep your historic program in place, at least for this year. Then pull tissue samples from each area and compare. Also look at any difference in yield.

Hopefully he knows and understands your micro climate, soils, crops, and management style. ( Here it is not unheard of for a dirt farmer to get better yields and better returns than the consultant can ! )

Edit, please realize I do not know Jack about your soil, I can not comprehend your climate, and I only raise taters for the kitchen!

Edited by Hay Wilson in TX 3/6/2010 13:00
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)