AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Base Saturation Farmers, Potassium Question
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Plotski
Posted 3/6/2010 09:19 (#1107184)
Subject: Base Saturation Farmers, Potassium Question

Massachusetts
Here is a question for growers or others who are using the base saturation method.

Here is some soil test information from one of my fields:

TEC 5.44 meq
pH 6.4
OM 1.5

Ca 61.08%
Mg 14.25%
K 8.25%
Na 2.36%

My consultant would like to see Ca=61, Mg=19, and K=7.5, so that doesn't look too bad. My question is about the K. When I look at the 'pounds per acre,' I have 350 pounds of available K per acre. The base percentage is high, but the actual pounds per acre is low, because of the small TEC.

I am growing potatoes, which are heavy users of K. Further, K is supposed to leach from lighter soils like mine. In fact, many farmers around here will apply 2-300 lbs of K annually.

Now, I suspect that the base percentage ratios are much more stable in soils with higher TECs. In lighter soils like mine, it is much more of a 'moving target.' Were I to fertilize by replacemant, I would be putting down that 2-300 lbs of K annually. If I were to fertilize by base saturation, I would apply none. My fear is that by applying none, at some point I will be going backwards on the K, that is lower than the 7.5%, due to crop removal and possible leaching if we have heavy rain.

My inclination is to apply little to no K at pre-plant. After, when I get the results from my spring soil test, I might add some K at topdress if it is shown to be needed.

Is there anyone here who has experience with light soils using base saturation that would like to comment on this?

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)