AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

House Foundation Question
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

PatrickM
Posted 2/13/2010 12:06 (#1072823 - in reply to #1072097)
Subject: I used to do foundations....

I've probably set and poured over 1000 foundation in my 20's and early 30's. 8" thick foundation walls are the industry standard for non-brick walls in my neck of the woods, 10" for brick-ledged walls. As some added advice, for wall runs that are 30'+ in length with no offset, add a "dead man" or more to help prevent wall bowing and subsequent cracking. A dead-man is just a short wall 3'-4' running perpendicular to the main wall on the EXTERIOR of the wall. It is best to put the 8" deadman wall on a extra wide footing 3'-4' wide and run two or three vertical rebar in the footing. Tie the deadman wall into the main wall with rebar as well. Strategically placed deadmen will do what tons of rebar cannot. Also, make sure you place wing walls where you have steps coming out of the house. These are often times missing in foundation plans, particularly where sliding glass doors are located. Wing walls for steps can also double for deadmen in a long wall run. I feel deadmen are critical in long wall runs, especially with tall walls and free standing retaining walls.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)