AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Any good reason to NOT use synthetic motor oil in a stand-by generator?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Jon Hagen
Posted 1/20/2010 22:28 (#1033183 - in reply to #1032997)
Subject: Re: Any good reason to NOT use synthetic motor oil in a stand-by generator?

Hagen Brothers farms,Goodrich ND
Ron..NE ILL..10/48 - 1/21/2010 20:18

I don't know much about generators.

But, this stand-by generator, like most that I've looked at excercises itself 1x weekly. I thought the synthetic oil would allow easier starting in -0 temps....no? Re. costs, I'm guessing the filter (also changed annually w/the oil) will cost as much as the oil, whether synthetic or mineral.

We built our own standby gen set years ago using a Ford 200 engine and 27KW Agtronic generator.
I ran it with mineral oil for the first few years, then changed it to Mobil 1, 5W-30 synthetic. It is much easier starting in cold temps with synthetic oil.
The biggest change that I noticed, was how much quieter the engine was at being started after 3 months on non use. I test run it every three months.
The mineral oil would all have drained back into the pan, and the pistons and rods would really Clatter. It really is noticable, being about 18 inches from my ear when I cranked it up. Once the oil pressure came up, the engine would get reoiled and quiet.

With synthetic oil, it not only started so easily, but also was quiet from the first pop.
My assumption is that the synthetic oil does not drain off the engine parts like mineral oil

No dry start and no noise with the synthetic oil after months of non use..
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)