AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Any good reason to NOT use synthetic motor oil in a stand-by generator?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

braunt01
Posted 1/20/2010 21:08 (#1032971 - in reply to #1032864)
Subject: Re: Any good reason to NOT use synthetic motor oil in a stand-by generator?

Princeton, MN
My opinion is that it would be a waste of money to add synthetic oil. The amount of use that the generator gets will (hopefully) be very few hours. There is a lot of potential for condensation and moisture entry into the crankcase, and the oil. The oil should be changed out at least annually, or by hours depending on how much use it gets. A good quality mineral oil will be less expensive and have the same amount of life in this application. I would also recommend that you test run the genset at least once a month if not twice to make sure the windings stay dried out and the switchgear (if equipped) if functioning properly.

I dont know how much you know about generators, but it is extremely important to keep all moisture out of the windings. I see this one has a nice enclosure to keep it dry, but I would recommend against washing it with a powerwasher in a way that will allow moisture in the windings. I nearly cooked a 150kw biogas generator because I got wash happy with it, thank god I talked with a Cat tech that day about another issue and he warned me about doing so. It takes several hours with a carbon pile letting current through the coils to cook the moisture out of it.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)