AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

N- fixing cover crop. ATT. Steve groff, brian sepa, conservation cop, ed winkle, panotiller & others
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

kylesupplee
Posted 1/7/2010 06:28 (#1007722 - in reply to #1007556)
Subject: RE: N- fixing cover crop. ATT. Steve groff, brian sepa, conservation cop, ed winkle, panotiller & ot

Thompsontown, Pennsylvania
steve,
we would probably be chopping into an agbag....had a field day here october 1st last year with joel myers and his thoughts as well as others there were that the radishes would be high protein like you mention..make excellent feed but kinda turn to mush when fermented.....buutt the general concensus was it should work in a high oats mix.....my opinion if you can get so you only harvest the top, its so leafy even if its high in moisture at mowing, i would think it would dry fairly well...may have to ted the swaths?.....my concern was more whether i would kill the radishes early by mowing and what legume to plant with, if any at all.....as for you manure question, i don't have an over abundance of manure. Milking 50 cows on 160 acres.....so with the intensive rotation i run nutrients aren't over supplied....most soils are optimum to moderately hi on p and k so if i could find a way to grow some nitrogen that would help and i could divert some manure away from those acres that year in the rotation.....by the way thanks for some of the seeds used in the covercrop test plot for the above mentioned field day.......
Kyle
Tusc-Vu Farms
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)