AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

N- fixing cover crop. ATT. Steve groff, brian sepa, conservation cop, ed winkle, panotiller & others
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

kylesupplee
Posted 1/6/2010 20:58 (#1007142 - in reply to #1006731)
Subject: RE: N- fixing cover crop. ATT. Steve groff, brian sepa, conservation cop, ed winkle, panotiller & ot

Thompsontown, Pennsylvania
ok.....let me take your answers and go a slightly different direction.......in theory from what ive heard i could go for forage yield on the oats and apply a heavy manure application which the tillage radishes will love and not really be a "n-fixing crop" but really do a good job of sucking up some of that nitrogen.......i also had planted the 27th of august, a mix of 4 bushels bin run jerry oats and 1.5 bushels bin run wheat...made huge amount of forage and good quality...like a real good rye crop only in the fall....but the wheat didn't seem to take the cutting....even at 4 inches as the fields i harvested have very little or no wheat regrowth and 6 acres i left stand have wheat....my question is can i mix rye with the oats and tillage radishes and have the rye make it to spring to hold all that nitrogen the radishes took up before they died? or am i stuck with some ryegrass or something like that? from what ive heard ryegrass can be an interesting kill in the spring
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)