AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Biotech crop growers, should we embrace biotech wheat?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Gary Lyon
Posted 12/19/2009 00:56 (#974138 - in reply to #973214)
Subject: RE: Biotech crop growers, should we embrace biotech wheat?

Southeast Wyoming

Thanks all for the replies!  I hope they keep coming in; I intend to direct the attention of some area wheatgrowers towards this thread.

First off, let me say that I'm not a member of the Wyoming Wheatgrowers; I was years ago but let my membership drop.  I was glad to have received an invitation to their meeting, I didn't get to the meeting until later in the morning.  I believe I should get involved in the organization again; more can be done from the inside of an organization than from the outside.

The speaker who was promoting biotech wheat was from Agrimind - I know nothing of the organization and their/his credentials (I referred to him as a "university type", but had no intention of comparing him to the well educated UW agronomist who spoke later in the day.)  Towards the end of his presentation, he offered a couple of resolutions regarding the release of germ plasma, data and etc.  During the discussion of those resolutions, the discussion was in regard to biotech, but, as I pointed out at the meeting, I saw no connection of the biotech issues to the resolutions.  The resolutions were voted on and passed - it would be a real spin to interpret the passing of those resolutions as in any way showing support for biotech wheat production.

The Agrimind guy mentioned the need for disease resistance and there was mention of the use of marker tracking and etc.  One concern was for the UK99 black stem rust epidemic overseas and the need for resistance to that rust.  The UW agronomist was the last speaker of the day and he mentioned that Scout 66 wheat shows a great deal of resistance to UK99 - it does not sound as if we need biotech there.

Someone mentioned $2.00/bu wheat if we get biotech wheat.  I suspect that is optimistic; once the market is glutted, there becomes no outlet.  Wheat will move out of crop rotations where they have that option but we have few alternatives here on the high plains.  Yes there are some but only on a limited number of acres.  We are economically depressed now - I do not see a rosy outcome.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)