AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

PICS------Windmills----------Harvest----------Tillage!
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

FactoryFarmer
Posted 12/13/2009 20:25 (#964890 - in reply to #963378)
Subject: RE: PICS------Windmills----------Harvest----------Tillage!

N IL

Thanks.

Now that the windmills are up there really is not too many issues.  On the wrong day when you are working around them you might loose satellites and the autosteer will disengage, alot.  But this only seems to be on certain days.

But as far as farming around them, the lanes are straight in off of the road so we don't have any problems navigating around them when planting headlands.

Now during the building process, that is a different story. If they come to your area go to all of the meetings and make sure a contractor is comming in that has done this before!

Here is how it went:

First bunch on windmills out east-We farm around none of these thankfully!

They came in and tore the roads all up and never replaced much gravel at all. When they made lanes out through the fields to get out to the windmills they made them winding and long.  Sometimes they would wind through one field and actually shoot road off of these ones into another field.  (a picture explains it better.)  They took alot of nice big square fields and when it was all said and done, these fields now had three corner patches and other weird shaped pieces.

Second bunch around here-We farm around two.

These guys seemed to do an alright job of taking care of the roads after they were done I guess.  They did a not quite good enough job with building lanes in the field.  Some of the gravel has washed out into the field and there is a steep drop off right by the road.  When they placed the windmills out in the field they made certain parts of the field wash that had never washed before.  We have also found a tone of junk out in the field, wood, steel, plastic, etc.  They also brought up alot of BIG rocks which were just throw back out in the field.  The compaction was horrific because they drove the cranes out in the field and we do deep tillage in it every year.  In some spots there were tracks over waist deep from the cranes. They hired a guy to rip everything but he was not going that deep so it did not do much.  I ripped everything three times @ 22 inches deep and that still was not enough.  But now that they are built everything is ok I guess.

Third bunch way out east-We farm round two

These guys----------WOW!  They came in and really knew what they were doing. The lanes are all straight in and they will not interfere with anything at all.  When building the lanes they cored it out a couple feet, then put down the gravel in layers.  So it went: gravel, roller, water truck.  They did that till the lane was built and I am not kidding you that lane is 10 times better than any road you will ever drive on! They also made a nice wide entrance so it will be a nice place to load trucks and take them out of the field. They actually bought their own ripper, an EcoloTiger with 10 inch points, and did the ripping themselves.  It looks fantastic!  They also left no junk in the field and their work was very clean.

+10 for those guys!

I guess that should give you something to think about!

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)