AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Iowa guys-- any of you close enough to DNR & new rule re applying liquid manure to frozen ground???
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

jakescia
Posted 11/22/2009 13:28 (#934035 - in reply to #932952)
Subject: I have been sweating a Dec 01 cutoff date.......after reading law, breathing a bit better........

Oskaloosa, Iowa 52577

Unless there are changes not yet reflected in the law I read (Senate file 432) coupled with IA Code 459..........

Have until 12/21 before rules start pinching.....and then, if can incorporate/inject within 24hrs, can run until 02/01 before get hit with "frozen ground" rule.

So..........we are going to keep an eye on long term weather, and six days before predicted freezeup, will start chiseling, regardless of slurry application.  Then at least we will have the stalks some under, and contoured "dams" to hold back the slurry on the side hills when we later apply it.

I am betting that even in a little really cold weather, we can chisel enough off the peaked prior-chiseled area to qualify for "incorporation"........so can still meet the 24hr incorporation rule even if get over an inch of snow.

So..........I'm breathing a little better......amazing what knowing the facts will do for the psyche.............can concentrate on trying to keep combine from sliding sideways down the hills...........or, maybe just focusing on learning better how to semi-control the down slide, and put the trucks at the bottom of the hills so combine can unload when done sliding.............

What a year..............

By the way...........I have NOT been able to find any definition in the law as to what "incorporation" is................which will probably be to our advantage this year. 

re Jim's coulters................we yanked one injector that used some large coulters.........was not providing enough cover/space for absorption.............., but, after watching the replacement shanks on our injectors plug with mud and stalks, and then removing most shanks in order to let that trash through......even when on 30+ inch spacings..........I do think that deep coulters would be the trick. 

The only hooker I would wonder about........putting on a lot of juice, like we are doing due to really thin lagoon water, etc..........might cause the coulter to not provide enough groove, ie inches, to absorb the stuff, especially in wet soil.  

The fix would, however, appear to be to merely add more coulters-------cut more grooves, to allow more inches for absorption...........so, from any angle, appears to be the way to go.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)