AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Anyone else getting tired of seeing all the Monsanto advertising
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

CJDave
Posted 11/23/2009 08:36 (#935086 - in reply to #931181)
Subject: RE: Anyone else getting tired of seeing all the Monsanto advertising

Southeast Iowa
Yeah, Monsanto is spending a lot on ads these days, but I look at it as a way of paying for the magazines that bring the rest of the good stuff to me for way less money than it would cost without the ads. I took a tour of Monsanto in St Louis last summer, and I have to say that they are definitely: "workin' on it". They are using the dough we give them for seed research that ....and remember you heard it here first..... will eventually result in something like a low-Nitrogen corn variety to where ten or fifteen years from now we'll wonder how we ever made it back in the "old days" when we had to use all that SMOKE. Yes, I'm often shocked when I look at the seed wagon and know that there are thousands of dollars worth of seed in that little pile. Then again, I never expected to see 287 bu/ac on the yield monitor either. We had fields with Pioneer and Asgrow planted side by side and there was a lot of butt-kicking going on between seed brands; as much as 15 bu/ac in the beans. I have about as many Dupont hats as I have Monsanto hats. Jackets, same thing. This year I got a close look at the hassle and the expense that goes into growing 200 acres of seed corn, and THAT was a real eye-opener as far as why seed might be costly.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)