AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

First time farmer first time lost!!
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Mike SE IL
Posted 10/28/2009 01:52 (#902941 - in reply to #902923)
Subject: RE: First time farmer first time lost!!

West Union, Illinois

I told a banker one time that bankers should be treated like dogs.  He got this funny look and said "Huh?"

I explained I had spent several years driving an LP truck and dragging an LP hose through other folks back yards.  I have learned dogs HATE to be surprised.  When I got out of the truck I was whistling a tune of some kind and the dogs always heard me coming.  I rarely had trouble with dogs because I didn't surprise them.

He allowed as how that was probably true with bankers.  Do not surprise him.  Stop by now and let him know you are having a tough fall. He already knows it, it  isn't news.  Ask if he has any suggestions because you are going to try and pay him back all the way this year but it isn't looking favorable.  How does he suggest you handle it?

I walked into the bank one time and asked if he was going to repossess it or refinance it.  "Oh, now, we'll work it out."  Be prepared to get a job if at all possible.  Cut unnecessary expenses.  Be very conservative. 

And one more piece of advice.  One of the worst things a banker ever did for me was just refinance me and keep me going without forcing me to set down and make it all work on paper.

It's kind of like the young employee who made a mistake that cost the company $28,000.  He walked into the boss's office and said "I guess I should start looking for a new job?"

"New job!" the boss replied, "We just spent $28,000 educating you."

You have just gotten an expensive education.  Put it to use.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)