AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Why Grow Wheat? - A Rant
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

christianh
Posted 10/4/2009 11:47 (#870687 - in reply to #870630)
Subject: Re: Why Grow Wheat? - A Rant

St. Gregor, SK, Canada
mennoboy - 10/4/2009 09:15

Chris,

Did you have wheat streak mosaic in your field? One Cargill person told me that some of our shriveled kernels (kind of look like frost damage) was from wheat streak mosaic. WAs it dry at the end while heads were filling? I think I'm noticing that certain wheat varieties like different types of climate or will perform well under ideal conditions but not very well in less than ideal (5602) while others will perform well in many different conditions (Superb and Barrie). I also think that certain varities like certain areas (soil/climate etc). maybe Kane isn't a good variety for your area. harvest is performing well in our area as well.

Not that I could find. I scouted for every disease known to me, but the only thing that popped up was ergot. Every single tiller produced seed, and the heads were consistent.

Superb has always had good yields (45 - 60) but had fusarium issues (upwards of 10%) last year. This year, no issues. Barrie is very close, and so is Harvest. I had Barrie last year, but got scared off by ergot, fusarium, and wheat midge (0.087, 1.07, and 0.4 resp.), so tried KANE this year. The other thing, last year for the Food Grains project, we combined Superb, and it was easy threshing - I was told bearded wheat is easier to thrash than smooth. KANE took a full compliment of filler plates, concave as tight as I could get it, and cylinder speed at 1100 to dislodge the seed - we still had a spiklet or two with seed in it every now and then.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)