AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Why Grow Wheat? - A Rant
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

mennoboy
Posted 10/3/2009 21:42 (#870155 - in reply to #868831)
Subject: RE: Why Grow Wheat? - A Rant

Rivers, MB
Chris, few comments.
How were other varieties of wheat? Were they all disappointing or just the Kane? Here, the Kane performed as well as our Superb and Barrie. If your wheat was in the 30's this year, would your barley have yielded 80-90?

I don't think the CWB is to blame for our falling wheat prices or its unprofitability. As someone else stated, its easy to grow with lower risk and so its profitability will always be lower. ITs also grown all over the world so the chance of having a supply shortage are much less than a crop like canola, sunflowers, lentils, durum, flax, chickpeas etc.
Too often, the CWB gets blamed for things out of its control and I don't think that's fair. For the record, I would vote to get rid of the CWB if we ever have a valid ballot and the opportunity to do so.
If you want your money as soon as you deliver, take an FPC or basis contract. Take a cash advance. The reason we don't get all of our money till Dec. is because we are basically getting a pooled price for a whole year. If we voluntarily did it with canola, we would have to wait for our money as well for example.

It is frustrating though when we have very few options. Farmers in the Red River valley have many other options in the cereal part of the rotation that wheat is low on the list of choices. Unfortunately, our side of the province can't grow 120 bu/ac oats consistently and we can't grow corn very well so wheat becomes the choice by default. I can see why most rotations are wheat-canola-wheat-canola. We're fighting that trend so far with some peas and sunflowers but it still means 50% wheat.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)