AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Where's the Benefit of Fungicides on Wheat?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

CND
Posted 9/2/2009 23:36 (#833678)
Subject: Where's the Benefit of Fungicides on Wheat?

Anamoose, ND
So I was having a debate with my dad tonight about the benefits of spraying wheat at the flag leaf/early heading stage, he doesn't like seeing the tracks out in the field and I on the other hand believe that anything you do to protect or enhance the health of the plant is good. We cut a nice field of spring wheat the other day and it was a field that I had sprayed with Folicur and Lorsband at early flowering. The other fields that I sprayed were hit with 50% hail damage a few weeks ago so I will never know what the real potential of that wheat was. Granted this growing season did not have much disease pressure as far as scab is concerned but we did have enough humidity and moisture to cause some leaf disease on the flag leaf. I could see after I sprayed that the fields with the Folicur treatment had healthier flag leafs. I have always read that 80% of the plants energy comes from the flag leaf so this is where I think the Folicur really helps. My dad on the other hand says he sees no benefit. He even joked that if it wasn't for my dang tracks out there the wheat probably would have done even better. How do you know who is right? I don't think you will see a 5 or 10 bu/ac difference from the cab of the combine and you would have to weigh the loads to do a real yield check.

Edited by CND 9/3/2009 00:03

(Wheat Harvest 09.jpg)

(Wheat Harvest 09 2.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Wheat Harvest 09.jpg (96KB - 96 downloads)
Attachments Wheat Harvest 09 2.jpg (94KB - 96 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)