AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Questions for Western hay growers
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

95h
Posted 9/2/2009 11:43 (#832985 - in reply to #832362)
Subject: RE: Questions not answered.. ?? Here's a few..

Kittitas Co. Wa. State

My answer's are pretty close to Jay in Wa's answers thou 'here' the market conditiona are a bit different. Dealer's here aren't interested in big bales as they are in Jay's area.

My answers reflect Timothy growing,,,

'Here' the "weekend warriorers"  (folks with 1-3-4 horses) will buy the 3 string bales. Some of the buyers have figured out for the cost of 1 tank of gas and a day, they can save $130-170 over their local feed store price.  You should see a bunch of city people with a couple of horses grunt and sweat loading 1-2 ton of hay !!!

Any hay that doesn't meet "export quality" has a ready market for Guys with cows.  Again, 'HERE'  every bale is graded right at the stack, and you would be suprised how small a flaw will reject a bale.   I've asked the loader guys in the past,, "what's wrong with that bale",,,  "it's a rebale" is the response, and it gets kicked out.  Or,, "it's got a weed sticking out of it".  (kicked out..)

Capacity is variable,, windrow size, field size etc.. so around 20-25ton an hour is more or less the capacity of a 3 string baler.  Capacity is very variable actually.  I try to bale with 16-18 strokes per bale,, baler runs at 80 strokes/minute. Again,, field size shape etc... all factors..

I have talked with the local hay buyers/dealers,, and Timothy here is worth in the neighborhood of $600-800/ Ton in Japan or other Pacific rim Countries.  It depends on shipping rates, double compressing hay etc. of course.  Ocean shipping cost is not by the ton it's CUBIC feet. Doesn't matter if the containers are full of lead or feathers... cost is the same.

What I can tell you is the Hay "pipeline" from "here" to Japan (for example) is ALLOT shorter than once it gets TO Japan.  Me-dealer/double compress/Container- Seattle Dock- onto ship, Japan.  Pretty short. But,, Once Off ship in Japan the hay can be sold upto 1/2 dozen times before reaching the "end user".  Importer's sell to buyer's who sell to smaller dealers, who sell to smaller dealers. 

This will astound you !!   With Timothy,, (first hand info from local Dealer who witnessed it)  The timothy bales are cut apart and every flake of hay is hand sorted into 4-6 different piles by hundreds of workers in huge buildings, then repackaged for sale in Japan.

A Farmer in Japan does not buy a "truckload' of Hay bales to feed their horses or dairy or whatever.  They buy small packages of hay specifically for each animal. Animals are most all hand fed individually. Large animals like cows are daily hand massaged by handlers. Pasture is unheard of in Japan so, to maintain the animal's muscle etc.. they are massaged and walked daily then returned to their stalls.

Oh,, about Japanese Farmers ?????   Any farmer in Japan who farms 3 or more acres is a MILLIONAIRE by U.S. Standards.  

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)