AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

How much time did you take off when your wife gave birth?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

timis
Posted 2/13/2024 23:25 (#10622606 - in reply to #10622473)
Subject: RE: How much time did you take off when your wife gave birth?

Iowa
You do what you have to do. First kid I think I took 3 days off work (was only working a job at time) second was at harvest, and I was in the field later that day. Third was in nicu for a month (premature) probably 24 hrs off with mom and kid (most was catching up on sleep) then I had 2 kids to watch 2 hrs away, for the next month I’d go down a few times a week overnight when parents could watch the other kids, drove back home to get them on bus. 4 th was special needs, month in nicu, and 3 months in picu. Similar deal as the third. Remember that “time off” is a fairly new thing, and that for centuries a baby was born and life moved on rather rapidly.

Main thing is to enjoy the time, make memories, take pictures. I have a shirt that just by chance I wore during first 2 deliveries, I don’t fit into it anymore, but it’s in my closet and I every time I see it I remember. Also remember the kids won’t remember it - it’s about the wife and you, if it’s your first kids life will change a lot. I highly doubt your wife will be down that long, the mothering instinct will take over and they won’t keep her in a bed that long. With my wife she wanted support, but the baby was her focus, so me being there for too long drove her nuts. Watch for post delivery depression (this can show up months after birth too) be there for each other.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)