AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Having a very hard time wrapping my head around machinery prices
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Magicmatt41
Posted 8/6/2022 20:11 (#9783820 - in reply to #9782115)
Subject: RE: Having a very hard time wrapping my head around machinery prices

I think there is is fix for the high prices. If you by new, don’t trade anything. Dealer have no inventory, keep it that way and the manufacturer will have to get there butt in gear and produce something. Some of the trade in price offers are probably fair, but don’t reflect the price increases of new. If the trade in price is something you think you can get anytime by self listing, keep the used machine for awhile and list it privately (probably could even rent it out and make up the cost of keeping it). Combines probably will be a problem, but I don’t see tractor prices coming down anytime soon. On Steiger tractors you only had about 3 days to place an order after they opened the ordering period if you wanted a chance of having tractor for 2023 spring field work. Then dealer are on an allotment system. The other thing that could happen if you take the risk of buying an expensive new machine is the dealer may keep coming back to you with a good offer to trade those late model machine back in to keep their allotments and have something to sell to the next guy. If your dealer had an allotment of 3 Steiger they would hate only selling 2 and then have an allotment of 2 the next year. I heard some dealers didn’t get any Steiger for 2023.

Things that as lead me to think this way at this moment in time, are fact newer machine don’t always seem to be as reliable anymore when new, parts availability is unpredictable. So it is probably a good thing to have backup machine if there is not enough value to trade. A piece of equipment that we recently bought wasn’t shipped with all pieces to put it together. The best part about this is the OEM wanted to settle up by the end of month and the dealer only had the machine on lot for week. Ended up paying for the machine before it was even put together. Discovered the pieces were missing after we payed for.

Edited by Magicmatt41 8/6/2022 20:27
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)