AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

855 turbo questions
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Pat H
Posted 6/1/2009 22:01 (#729631)
Subject: 855 turbo questions

Well I finally gave up on the original engine on the 9170 - it just seemed to be one thing after another, but it had great power. It will be on ebay soon and likely just needs the correct head gaskets and seals to stop the exxon valdez effect (oil just pours out). So, I found a cummins rebuilt that was in a scraper.

I talked with cummins and it sounded like it would be a decent fit - different cpl number but lots of things in common especially being industrial engines. One bonus was supposed to be the new engine could use the brand new turbo I just bought for the original engine. We installed the turbo right away - I have some beans to plant and I didn't want another problem. However, I got out to the field (30 minutes before the rain) and I had maybe 175 hp (supposed to be 360). I changed the fuel filters and had a slight improvement, but it wasn't the problem. The throttle also behaves very strange. It doesn't want to stay at one rpm very long. It will idle, but won't stay at 1700rpm. The new engine controls the pump shaft directly instead of the 'governer type' and I understand it runs different, but now I wonder if the turbo swap was a bad idea. The old turbo seemed heavier than my new turbo, but I though that was just a material change. Would a turbo cause this behavior? Fwiw the turbos appear to be the same size (a/r ratio wouldn't be that far off).

Hey on a good note, it doesn't look like it leaks oil and the only oil is from the brackets from the old engine (places the pressure washer didn't reach). It starts right up, no strange smoke, good oil pressure - this has to be something simple. We plan to put old turbo back on as soon as it stops raining. I'd appreciate any ideas, experience, etc.

Thanks,

Pat

PS; original engine - cpl 1255 new engine cpl 1204 (1992)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)