AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Preg checks, and milk tests?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

WCWI
Posted 11/23/2021 19:18 (#9337437 - in reply to #9337131)
Subject: RE: Preg checks, and milk tests?

We have done the milk for 3 years, Seems like some of the vets around here are better at dairy/AI situations then where they have a breeding date vs. a range of 4-5 ,months with no known date. We calve starting about April first and preg check in October. I kind of thought that one would get false positives because the cow slipped a calf too close to the test date, but last year we had a false negative. I know because I sold the cows too another guy too butcher in the spring and he got a calf in April, now how did that happen? We could have screwed up and got the wrong number on a bottle, but all of the other cows we kept all had calves, but some were a little on the late side if they were the one that got the bottle exchanged, or the lab. made the mistake.??? Funny thing is when she showed up open I thought I really wonder if that test is right. I guess my approach is if it is a good cow I may not sell her, but I have gotten to the point that the most open ones in the fall get sold even if I have plenty of fee, guess one could always get the "good" pone palpated as a 2nd opinion. I figure cost of the milk test is about the same or less then palpation, but carries no risk of kicking a calf. Ultra sound might be OK, but around here is very expensive compared to the other methods.

Additional thought, could there be something in there diet affecting the progesterone levels? By the time we do it if they are in our preferred calving window they should be about 60 to 120 days pregnant, (we have about 60 beef cows)

Edited by WCWI 11/23/2021 19:25
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)