AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Preg checks, and milk tests?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Milk in Wi
Posted 11/23/2021 21:46 (#9337768 - in reply to #9337113)
Subject: RE: Preg checks, and milk tests?

I would start by saying that i have no experience with milk preg testing but have compared palpation to blood ( Biopryn) to ultrasound. I have not blood tested cows for well over ten years. I do remember that Biopryn did state that the sensitivity of the test was adjusted to where the false neg rate was lower than the false positive rate. my guess is the milk test would have simular safeguards built in. When we started blood testing we looked at data on palpation accuracy. My recollection is of work done at Michigan st. finding that a highly skilled palpater was about 92% accurate and diminished after that. This was a shock for myself a young inexperienced dairyman that thought palpation was more "black and White" This made blood testing more accurate than palpation statistically. We then started bloodtesting cows in our breeding program following up with palpation on P2 and P3 checks. We then about 12yrs ago purchased an ultrasound machine. Some of the trends and improvements we noticed were hormone savings in having pregnancy status immediately available. We also saw abortion rates drop on the P2 Check This I believe may be due to our ultrasounds ability to see the viability of the fetus and the fact that the placental proteins detected by biopryn will be present for a period after embryonic death. Overall it would be my opinion that each method has strengths and weaknesses and the important thing is to under stand them and them build your reproductive program with these in mind.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)