AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

beef brisket on a pellet grill question...
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

jdchevy25
Posted 9/15/2021 16:42 (#9221911 - in reply to #9221712)
Subject: RE: beef brisket on a pellet grill question...

Kansas City area
Have done a few briskets on a Traeger, usually with hickory pellets. I don't adhere strongly to these rules but the basics of what I do. I tend to the low and slow - lots of stuff to breakdown in a brisket in order to get a tender eating experience.

Trim the fat down a bit in the really thick spots, don't have to trim it all off though. Season with the basics, I usually do salt, black pepper, and Tony Sateres cajun seasoning (lightly or to your preference). Sometimes Lemon Pepper as well.

I cook at the 180 setting for 1-2 hours to produce some decent smoke early when the meat accepts the smoke better. Then crank up to 225 or 250.

When the meat gets to about 160 I wrap tightly and put a cup or so of beef broth in it. This helps it get through the 'stall'. I have also cooked it straight through with no wrap, tends to take a bit longer but gets more of a bark on it depending what you want.

Cook until the internal temp is about 200-205. Remove and plan to rest at least 1 hour (more is fine) - I wrap it in towels and place in a cooler. Have read that the tenderness is not so much driven by the final internal temp, but rather the amount of time above 180 or 185 (cant recall which). given that you can rest it for 1-4 hours with no issue in a cooler, this is also a good way to manage when the food is ready and gives you a little buffer. I have gotten caught where a cook took longer than anticipated, and supper gets a little late!

slicing is also a big deal on the brisket, go against the grain. You may have to change the angle as sometimes those muscle fibers change direction.

Good luck!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)