AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Best apple tree varieties of old
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

Beerslayer
Posted 9/20/2021 22:21 (#9230895 - in reply to #9217883)
Subject: RE: Best apple tree varieties of old

I'm in western Oregon. Here we have (had) the Nick Botner collection, over 5000 apple varieties. Before he passed he allowed the Temperate Orchard Society to clone his collection.
http://www.temperateorchardconservancy.org/

You can order scions from them for just about any variety and graft them yourself or have someone do it. I got a lot of my more interesting apples from Nick. I started with a lot of popular dessert apples you all know like Jonagold, Honeycrisp, Fuji, etc. Since then I have a new criteria for apples. They have to be dual purpose, dessert and cider, and they have to have a cool name like Spokane Beauty or Old Sheeps Nose or Sweet Sixteen.

I get a lot of scion from the Agrarian Sharing Network on Facebook. That's where I got... Red Gravenstein! It's a pink flesh Gravenstein.

Heritage apple varieties are big in Oregon now and there's a big shortage of cider apples. Most cideries are using surplus dessert apple juice from Eastern Washington and you can tell. It's not the best.

I'm happy to help any way I can, you can contact me through email on this site. I know a guy who will graft and grow out anything you want, he's great. Probably won't cost any more than a Fuji from the big box store.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)