AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Zczfarmer comments
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

Jrditchdigger
Posted 8/1/2021 22:33 (#9141959 - in reply to #9141873)
Subject: RE: Zczfarmer comments

Southern MN
Honest question
How much does plant height impact yield? Weather stations near us show 6-8” total for the year in precipitation. The areas that had 8” are actually some of the tallest corn I have ever seen, the area at 6” average height. Few rains we had came right at tassel and the plants seemed to double in height in a few days. When the plant actually runs out of moisture does the bigger plant have more to cannibalize or is it just that much more plant to to keep going so it dies earlier when the moisture runs out completely?
Vacationed in Lake of the Ozarks in late July or August in 2012. I remember I expected see corn fields being disked down after hearing all the drought talk. At the time I thought IA looked really good from interstate at 70 MPH. Even Missouri where the corn was short corn had ears on it. I know I thought the drought was overhyped. Am just curious as Joe and Flat are experts in this area. I myself don’t really know as it has been at least 33 years since we have been anywhere near this dry. Am thinking that the perfect planting conditions and fractured soil from last years dry July and August has let the corn root down that it has drawn an extra 4 or 5” from the soil than on a normal year. Am pretty sure reaching our guarantee will be tough at this point, kinda has taken the emotion out of it, so am just curious as to how all of this will turn out.

Edited by Jrditchdigger 8/1/2021 22:34
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)