AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Zczfarmer comments
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

SoDak Farms
Posted 8/1/2021 23:02 (#9142008 - in reply to #9141959)
Subject: RE: Zczfarmer comments

EC SoDak
There is a lot to unpack in your post. Height, imho, matters to some extent. The bigger part would be how uneven the corn is in a short distance via our variable height problems in the NW Belt. Meaning, if it’s uneven all over at varying heights in close range, you will be shading shorter corn and reducing yield.

I’ve asked before about the pros cons of hybrids that are short vs tall for the benefit of bigger plants having more to cannibalize vs using too much moisture up front to be bigger, starving it later. I have not found anyone confident with an answer.

I haven’t gone out and dug roots yet, probably do that this week, but I question (at least for me) how deep these roots have actually gone. Roots grow where nutrients are, not just searching for water, so if the ground was truly dry and your nutrients are mostly in the top 6” of the soil, your roots would not go all that deep. With my crop, it was so dry up top, I’ve had a lot of potassium deficiency since that does not move through the profile much. The others likely never moved much either because we never had much rain. Heck, the dirt has mostly been as loose as the day it was dug for planting because we never had a good hard rain.

Edited by SoDak Farms 8/1/2021 23:04
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)