AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Horse for kid?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

David in MD
Posted 7/12/2021 18:09 (#9106723 - in reply to #9101495)
Subject: RE: Horse for kid?

My 17 year old daughter has had a horse since she was 8. She's a mediocre student and the horse is how we keep her attention as she knows she has to do well in school to continue her horse activities. I've flat out told her that if she gets pregnant and I have to raise her child or gets on drugs and I have to pay for rehab that I won't be able to afford her horse and he will be sold. If neither of these things happen buying and keeping the horse will be the best money I ever spent. I did get a call last summer that she and my wife were taking a helicopter ride to the trauma center after she fell off at a barrel race. She was released after midnight with just a concussion. I strongly recommend that your daughter takes riding lessons first. The farm where my daughter started allowed some of the students to work for their lessons which was a great learning experience. There is much more to be learned about horses than just how to ride them. I could write a book on the mistakes we made and what I've learned about horses. Also one word of warning is that "horses are like potato chips, you can't have just one." There is much truth in that as horses are herd animals and do much better when they live with an equine buddy.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)