AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Horse for kid?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

Mrs B
Posted 7/12/2021 15:30 (#9106544 - in reply to #9101495)
Subject: RE: Horse for kid?

Highland Center, in Southeast Iowa

timis - 7/9/2021 20:18 Got 4 kids, 15, 11, 8, 4. The 11 and 4 year olds love horses. The 11 year old has a Shetland pony and does really well with it, and of the 4 kids is the hardest worker. Found a horse that would be a good fit, but there are 3 major concerns. We have a food source, we make some hay for other animals. So 3 concerns are: 1. Safety of daughter - she’d be the rider - I know nothing about horses. Horse owner is really good with horses and these are well trained. 2. Safety of 4 year old son. He’s a little slow mentally, and has spina bifida so he’s very unstable on his feet - he loves horses, so he’s gonna want to ride, and be around it— he can open doors and go outside by himself, and that’s a concern. 3. I’m really getting sick of projects and fixing things. I’m 38, and this last year has been a real eye opener as far as all the fixing and crap I’m having to do. Really sick of wife, oldest daughter (15) and 8 year old having no care for stuff that breaks, and always making more work for me, and almost think it’s funny. 2 weeks ago 15 year old hit window with golf ball, I wasn’t mad about that— I was pissed that she and wife were rolling on floor laughing about it - get accidents and mistakes — just don’t screw it up and think it’s funny, show remorse and help fix it. The 11 year old does some dumb things too, but she is the most willing to work and learn - I’d call them learning mistakes. So I’ve always felt when you show responsibility you get rewarded with opportunities, and I feel she would do great with it — just not sure I need to have another job, when she needs help. Kinda feel like I’m doing a lot of unnecessary stuff lately.

You've gotten a lot of good advice here from people who know horses. My thought is, if you're going to find yourself resenting every chore that you end up doing related to the horse that you think the kids should be doing, then do not do it. They can live without a horse a lot easier than they can live with your chirpy attitude when they don't respond the way you think they should. I'm referring to your Item #3. 

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)