AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Questions for Western hay growers
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Boomer
Posted 9/2/2009 10:35 (#832929 - in reply to #832879)
Subject: Re: Questions for Western hay growers

This year has been sort of a strange year as far as finding buyers for our hay around here anyway. I was almost ready to pull the trigger and buy a big baler but when the markett took a nose dive I deceided to stay with the three tie machines. I do have two feed stores in Ca that I have delt with for years and built a good repore with them. They only take about a load a week and I uslly dont have that much good feed store hay for them to satisfiy them. But like was mentioned if you switch over to just big bales you are kinda locked into the Dairy industry and that is not doing well this year. Our other market here is horse hay for the wild mustangs that are in feedlots at a couple of places within 100miles. They will buy almost any type of hay as long as its clean and green, no mold, weeds etc. They even take hay that has a little grass mixed in. This year I am only going to cut three times and go for quantity instead of quailty. Some of my better testing 1st crop went to a dairy but still havent been paid for it yet..... The good thing about the goverment owned horses is that the check is allways there. The one feedlot that feeds wild horses uses a little over a truckload (27ton) a day. It sure was a lot more fun last year getting $200.00 a ton for hay compared with this year finding someone to even come look at my hay for $75.00 ton.......
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)