AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

How many of you guys cutting some corn acres
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

JonSCKs
Posted 4/8/2020 08:18 (#8173236 - in reply to #8173219)
Subject: Sorghum bids exceed Corn at Terminals

Furthermore. since we have been selling more Sorghum to China.. We are seeing Sorghum bids over Corn at the Terminals.. This is at Hutchinson Kansas.

Also given that we have been wet.. and that.. "Average is just the line we blow through from one extreme to the other.."  pulling in the horns (although giving up the higher Yields which Corn Could do..) seems reasonable for some of these tough.. dryer acres out here on the plains.

https://www.cargillag.com/LocalBids/LocalBids?location=48427

Sorghum

Spot PriceNew Crop
Basis0.1500-0.2000
Cash3.49003.3225

Yellow Corn

Spot PriceNew Crop
Basis-0.2000-0.2500
Cash3.14003.2725

Actually switching Corn to Sorghum out here on the plains makes sense.. from a market, cost and outlook perspective.

Which is why it is occurring.

Keep in mind that Sorghum.,. is very hard to stubble back.. etc.. so.. it almost guarantees an increase in fallow acres.. rotating back to wheat.. we can stubble back wheat into Corn.. which is what I did,, Over half of my 2020 wheat acreage is stubble backed on 2019 Corn.

.. evidently I was a little more aggressive than most.. but there is also a fair amount of Wheat as a cover crop.. planted on ground which was intended to go to Corn.. now they may keep those Wheat acres.. but we'll see what the cold temperatures do this weekend.

Edited by JonSCKs 4/8/2020 08:22
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)