AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

DIY auto boom height control
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

Adrian
Posted 6/14/2019 19:55 (#7559338 - in reply to #7557657)
Subject: RE: DIY auto boom height control

South Georgia
I'm not clear on why it would need to control the center section. You mean you think you'd like to maybe set the height with a potentiometer or something, and let it control the entire thing? I was thinking more along the lines of, I use the center section to set the desired height, and the Arduino maintains the booms at that same height. Probably it'll actually need to be set at that same height within some margin of error, to keep it from 'hunting' too bad in reasonably flat terrain.

You mention needing pins to connect a couple of other potentiometers. What would be their functions?

I did think that it might be desireable to have a way to set the booms to be higher than the center section in especially terraced fields, so maybe a L and R potentiometer to adjust the 'height plus' of each side. What else?

As for using serial communications, I assume that those sensors would be using the serial communications on pins 0 and 1, correct? Would there be a way to connect more than one sensor to an Arduino? Or would that end up needing an Arduino on each boom to convert the communications to I2C to send to the 'master' Arduino? I do understand what you're saying about this method being less susceptible to errors, but in this application with the boom height constantly changing small amounts and the height constantly updating regardless, you reckon it would be a big deal if we missed a few measurements every now and then?

If we leave pins 0 and 1 vacant for potential serial comms, 13 vacant for the LED, and move the L and R sensors to 2 and 3 as you suggested, then we're out of 'digital' pins, before we connect the center section sensor, or add control for the center section height. I guess we can use the 'Analog In' pins for digital outs, can't we? We have 4 of them leftover after using A4 and A5 for I2C communications.

I agree, it's starting to look like we need to consider using a Mega, regardless, just to get more pins.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Adrian
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)