AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

DIY auto boom height control
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

Adrian
Posted 6/12/2019 20:35 (#7555716 - in reply to #7555600)
Subject: RE: DIY auto boom height control

South Georgia
I think you're right. I just looked up the directions for the sensor that came with my Arduino kit, and it just outputs a 'high' signal when it 'hears' the reflected sound. Then it's up to the programmer to do the math to see how long it was from when it was triggered to when it outputs 'high' to measure the distance.

The Maxbotix sensors seem to do that math themselves, and just output a signal to represent the distance. I think they'd be a good deal easier to write the code for, but I don't want to shell out a few hundred dollars for sensors to dink around with. At least not at this stage of the game. I suppose for testing, you could use another arduino to output a PWM signal to simulate the PWM signal from the Maxbotix sensor. (I'm hung up on PWM just because it's the method that I feel I understand the best.)

One other thing about the Maxbotix sensors: I had thought that having two sensors on each of my booms would be better than just one. (90' booms, some rolling ground and terraces.) I was afraid that would make a lot harder coding. Apparently, the Maxbotix sensors can be wired together in series, and the group will only send the signal of the lowest sensor. That would be very helpful.

I'm giving a lot of input here because this project really interests me, although I don't honestly feel like I have the time to put into it.

Adrian

Edited by Adrian 6/12/2019 20:37
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)