AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

New Product To Fix Worn Parallel Arms And Bushings
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

PPS Bushings
Posted 3/1/2018 13:12 (#6613036 - in reply to #6611704)
Subject: RE: New Product To Fix Worn Parallel Arms And Bushings

palennn - 2/28/2018 21:06

I could see using a clamp-on drill/reamer bushing plate that would at least locate the two "new" holes in the correct distance relationship from each other. A pair of tapered alignment pins could be used to locate the bushing plate fairly accurately with the original hole locations while clamping the plate in position prior to reaming. This would be a fairly small investment as only one is required for the entire job and could even be a deposit/return item. The bushing plate could be made with hardened interchangeable bushing with inside diameters to suit the job. The spacing between the two holes is surely consistent on a given make/series of planter.
With that said, I'm not understanding the need for 1/32" increments assuming that the wear problem is eliminated with the snug fit of the new bushings. The person doing the repairs is not going to know in advance what size bushings to order without disassembling and measuring at least a couple brackets. Looks like it would be a good idea to go at least 1/16" oversize to make sure the worn holes "clean-up" when reaming.
Also would recommend about any kind of lubricant other than WD40 when reaming the holes. I know it's convenient but not a good lubricant. I must sound like the devil's advocate here but just trying to get my two cents worth in. (double your money back guarantee on the two cents :)

As far as I know the only choice other than ours is a 1 3/32"bushing so we wanted to make something that would allow you to only go as big as needed. Your right the best way to figure out which bushing to use is find the row that is the worst and measure the largest part of the hole in the parallel arm. I know of several planters here and have done one myself several years ago using these 1 3/32" bushings, most buy a 1 3/32" drill bit and drill all the holes in a drill press and end up with holes that are not round, not in the center and not enough metal around the holes to ever drill out again. The advantage to the reamer is a round hole though maybe not exactly in the center depending on the condition of your arms. These reamers work best on holes that are loose with current bushings but have not gotten so bad to make the hole oblong. The reamers will work on oblong holes but as you can see in our video it is more challenging and the reamer will want to catch until it gets the hole close to round.

You did catch us on the WD-40. Its not what is recommended for this project but happened to be there while making the video. The same place that sells the reamers also sells a good product for reaming holes. https://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/01238757
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)