AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Sometimes you want to grab a engineer and shove
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Jersey Jim
Posted 12/20/2008 13:17 (#541063 - in reply to #540655)
Subject: RE: Sometimes you want to grab a engineer and shove

Sometimes the things that could be changed would not cost anymore or could result in a cost savings. I am thinking of turning the engine 90 degrees on a CaseIh combine. That would give more room and accessability to the area for people who are bigger than average.There already is a gear box on it so that would not change. I had to replace a sprocket on a NH TR 70 combine that could have been easily changed if a frame member had been over just a 1/4 inch. No reason it could not have been moved. There was plenty of room to do that. On a skid loader some replacement hoses are physically impossible for me to get to and I am 5'11 with a big frame. I could see where routing the line just a little different would be of great improvement. These are just a few of the things I have encountered. I am sure that the members of this forum who are fulltime mechanics could fill a book with stories of things that could be improved without a change in the cost structure

Many times the changes that would cost more would be welcome by the customer as service and repair time could be greatly reduced. There have times on this forum that the "ancestry" of the engineers is questioned just because of the design and ease of getting to repair items. Parts come apart differently when they are new as compared to 10 years old.

I agree with other posters that an engineer should work on items to get an undersatanding of what goes on in the field. Granted, it may not be intentional to create a poor service and repair design, but it also seems that it is not always intentional to design items with repair and service in mind.

Jim
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)