AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

New Farmbill thoughts have prompted me to ask this question. Who has been writing your checks?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

farmerbk
Posted 2/8/2014 19:52 (#3674322 - in reply to #3674153)
Subject: Re: New Farmbill thoughts have prompted me to ask this question. Who has been writing your checks?

Seymour, IL
Tim
I am pretty sure crop insurance is insurance...nothing is paid out without a loss....be it based on yield or revenue.

I do not know why different crops have different rates of subsidy participation. From what I have read, the participation ranges from 38% to 80% of the total, and averages 40% across all crops. And I am not an actuary to be able to discuss why rates themselves change in a given year, although I know commodity price and volatility in trading have an influence. I am sure risk and weather variability enters into the equation also.

I am not sure how you calculated the $2 payout to $1 in premium, but the loss ratio for all crops across all locations for the time period from 1995 to 2012 was .95; or 95 cents paid out for each dollar taken in. Data and tables found at http://farmdocdaily.illinois.edu/2013/05/crop-insurance-losses-pers...

I am not saying that raising rise and corn are the same. they are both starches and commodity staples; but that may be about the end of their similarities.
bryon
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)