AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

This must be the nursery...(pics)
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Jim
Posted 4/15/2013 07:37 (#3036829 - in reply to #3036642)
Subject: Re: This must be the nursery...(pics)

Driftless SW Wisconsin

I have and will continue to consider a building where they could be brought in for calving in emergencies. However I think moving calving back to about May 1 as Ben suggests would be another approach. Maybe a combination of the two. A hay shed would be largely empty by calving time and might serve dual purposes. Thank you for the thoughtful suggestion.

Jim

edit: looking at things this morning, enlarging my corral (needed) and putting a roof over it and running water to it might work also. I could incorporate that hay feeding shed area you designed for me off one side of it also.

Checking on that heifer this morning, she had the good sense not to have her calf last night in the storm. Looks like she will calve today. They all went up to a drier spot on top of the hill, nibbling on anything green starting to come up. Always a balancing act between the compaction they cause, letting the pasture get a start and giving them a drier, non muddy spot for awhile. I will err on the side of giving them a better spot for the ones yet to calve. But that's one of the things the Aerway is for.

Edited by Jim 4/15/2013 10:24
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)