AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Can irrigation pay off on small farm?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

cotncrzy
Posted 7/8/2012 09:20 (#2473007 - in reply to #2472682)
Subject: RE: Can irrigation pay off on small farm?

PROSPECT, TENNESSEE
This has been a hot topic around here lately. Talked with a landlord about a pivot. Already have it mapped, can water 136 acres of 160 with small amounts of excavation. He said he would go for a long term lease, and even cost share the pivot. What is the average cost on a pivot now?? $900 , $1000 per acre??? This isn't excellent ground, out of the 150, 50 is good, 60 marginal, 40 thin hills, or eroded river bottoms. I have always wanted to tile it and have done several acres but still need to do more but, where it is will get expensive, small spots, but prevents us from using bigger spots timely.

The main concern right now is being able to get water out of the river. There is an excellent place 200' from pivot point. But, here is the deal, we are under water restrictions right now. there is still 6' of water where I would get my water, but where the intelligent engineers put the water intake for the treatment plant is only 6" or so. There is lots of pissed off people seeing these irrigators running when they cant wash there car. I have a neighbor that has one across from my house, I have people stopping and throwing a fit about it. I try to explain it isn't mine and they wont hear of it. There is allot of people wanting them shut down, even one county commissioner even said he was going to push to stop it.

Bottom line is if I cant use one because it's dry, why put one up??? Who would have the final say in whether of not you could pump?

Edited by cotncrzy 7/8/2012 10:27
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)