AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Strange Question.....
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Mark (EC,IN)
Posted 2/21/2021 17:45 (#8849383)
Subject: Strange Question.....

Schlegel Farms, Hagerstown Indiana
....actually, a two-part question, which I realize will be easier to answer the older you are.

When you look back on your life, do you think you worked harder than your parents, or had things much easier?

The second part, what about your friends and classmates who did not farm?

My dad started on his own in 1940 or 41 growing some row crops and raising hogs.

In 1954 he purchased a farm and added a dairy. It was a 40-60 cow operation with one guy providing all the labor. He continued with this until his death in 1972 when I took over.

The dairy left quickly, but I raised a few beef cows and raised hogs until the mid-late '80s. At this time I started grain farming and things got MUCH easier. With this, plus newer equipment, AC cabs, power steering, and many more things it was much easier.

Dad probably worked harder on Monday than I did all week.

Here in my small town, most folks I graduated with (in my crowd) went to the local factory (which paid very well). One buddy got on third trick his senior year, got off in the morning in time for school.....that is how sure a job was (in the late '60s)

I do feel I worked harder early on than they did. There were many holidays and evenings that I'd "miss the party" because I had to work. That said, I do think I was happier than they were. I remember one of my closest friends saying: "On my first day, they gave me a drill that weighed more than I did and said go over there and drill holes for the rest of your life" ...... to them it was just a paycheck.

Some of the others that went on to school or a few that had their own businesses, I really have no idea. I do have one close friend that had his own business which involved office work........I think he had the same hours and stress I did but less physical labor (don't know if that is good or bad).

So I have to say for parents not even close, and for friends, maybe a little harder or the same.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)