AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

How to feed hay in mud
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

JustIf
Posted 3/22/2020 22:23 (#8130655)
Subject: How to feed hay in mud

-North Mo
I have always unrolled my hay during calving season due to concern of trampling calves at the hay ring - never had it happen but seems just.
However feeding hay on the ground in this mess is defeating. I no longer unroll as seems there will be 10-12 chasers that will simply trample the full row of hay to the end of the bale before ever attempting to eat.
I have resorted to feeding twice a day and feeding in piles, this is a pain as I have to use a fork and "leaf/slough" some amount then pull forward near 20' and do it again - I am stopping the run. And quickly - if the pile is small - they are circled around it with all butts pointed away. Depending the day - the last of the core can be taken over the hill to be unrolled - this is where the chaser/tramplers go to get out of sight so the other respectable cow can eat. But forking off 4 bales a day is a pain. How do others get nutrition to their cows in this mess - seems bunks and rings make bottomless quagmires within a day, feeding on the ground is a joke - any suggestions appreciated.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)