AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Family and land drama
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

Posted 6/14/2017 20:12 (#6071466)
Subject: Family and land drama

Try to keep this short. My dad died 12 years ago. He had just signed a lease with a option to buy 114 acres of prime farm ground before his death. This property is also very valuable for its residential and hunting potential because of its location. So, We, my 2 sisters and their families and myself and mine decided to try and pay for it and keep it. I was assigned to be the executor of the estate and went to each sibling and asked how many acres they each wanted to buy. One sister didn't want in and the other wanted to pay for 20 acres. That left me with the lion share of the ground and of course the biggest part of trying to make the payments. (It was tough for a few years). Anyway, we've never surveyed and built fence to separate me and my sisters property. They picked their 20 acres and it's known between us both where their ground is and so forth. It's worked well as I put up their share of their crops with my fuel and my equipment and I've never said a word about being paid. So I had a hunter come and ask me to lease my property to hunt on and I agreed and told him to talk to my brother in law about their property as I don't own it all. And that was that, so I thought. So one night I was with my brother in law and he went off on me for not paying him some of the money. And I mean he went off and it will never be the same between us again. He also went off on me for tearing down a shed on ground that was mine. Do you think I was responsible for trying to negotiate a lease with his ground for him? He also said he thought of the property as a partnership. I feel I sacrificed a lot for as much as I've purchased to just be partners on the place. Thought?
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)