AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Case IH 1245 Early Riser Spacing Issues
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

BPete87
Posted 3/25/2016 13:35 (#5199132)
Subject: Case IH 1245 Early Riser Spacing Issues

Hello guys,

This will be our third year running a Case IH 1245 Early Riser planter. It is a 12/23 planter with the cable drives and pneumatic down pressure. Before this planter we had a 1200, which was basically a very similar design as the 1245, but the meters were chain driven and you did not have pneumatic down pressure. The 1200 had it's issues in the beginning, but once we got some things figured out, the sucker did a great job of seed spacing on corn. The claim to fame of these red planters is even emergence, but the spacing was very good too.

Now, going into our 3rd season with the 1245, we are less than pleased with the spacing compared to the old planter. Yes, it does get the seeds out of the ground evenly, but it is almost embarrassing in some of the fields we planted with it because of uneven spacing. We have a great support staff in our area. I took the meters off and had them checked. The area planter rep came out the other day and checked the seed tubes for obstructions, ran all 4 sections and checked each unit for any rattle/shake/movement that wasn't supposed to be there, along with other things. Nothing. We went and walked some of the fields, it can't be narrowed to one row. There are rows that have 3 seeds in a 6 inch space and then you will have 16 inch gaps. Granted this isn't the whole field, but this isn't acceptable to find a pattern like this throughout the field. His comment was that the spacing was on a fine line of unacceptable/almost lowly acceptable. I don't want that with a $120,000 machine.

The rep is a great guy. He spent over 5 hours thoroughly looking things over. We run 4855 seed disks. At this time his only explanation is that smaller seed crowns get caught in the seed disk holes causing the uneven spacing. Thing is, larger or smaller seeds, it still did it. Has anyone had a similar experience and if so, what have you done or found out? The 1245 is a lot more user friendly than the 1200, but that doesn't mean squat if it isn't performing like it should. I run the planter settings by the book. Usually for corn a vacuum setting of 18, sometimes 19-20. The bulk fill I run at 3000 (I think that is what the manual calls for corn?). Singulaters are set on 3. Planter is calibrated every year before planting. Suggestions please!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)