AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

GS 2 - variable rate liquid and dry fertilizer
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

mafrif
Posted 1/12/2008 21:03 (#281822)
Subject: GS 2 - variable rate liquid and dry fertilizer

NC Iowa
Hello everybody. I just found this forum and it seems like there is a lot of smart people on here. Maybe you can help me out.

We have an 8430 that has the GS 2 RTK system installed on it. We just bought the GPS this fall and only used it on half of the strip till acres that we do. We have a an Ag Systems 16 row 6500 Strip till machine. We do all of our farm and custom strip till about 1000 acres. Currently the strip till machine has a mechanical wheel drive. My father farms in North Central Iowa and I do most of the Strip till. I still have a FT desk job but am starting farming this year on a 70 acre field.

Next year I plan on converting it to a hydraulic drive to be able to variable rate. We have a Rawson hydraulic drive with the Accu-rate controller. On the JD website it lists the Accurate controller as a compatible 3rd party controller that is able to document applications as well as prescribe variable rate. Does anybody have any experience with this combo? What is needed to connect the two?

Secondly, I would like to set up the GS 2 to variable rate liquid fertilizer for spring application. Currently we have a Raven 440 controller. This controller is also listed on the JD website as being able to document and prescribe fertilizer. Is it just a special cable that is needed to connect the two? Does it matter the age of the controller?

What does the rate controller feature actually do? Is it needed to spray using the Raven 440 controller, or is just so you are able to use the swath control?

I am sure I will have some more questions in the future.

Thank for any advice.
Chad
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)